Safety Page As a public service & for your safety!
Because Professional Plumbers Care!
What to do if you smell gas
  • Do not try to light any appliance.
  • Do not touch any electrical switch; do not use any phone in your building.
  • Immediately call your gas supplier from a neighbor's phone. Follow the gas supplier's instructions.
  • If you cannot reach your gas supplier, call the fire department.
  • Do not return to your home until authorized by the gas supplier or fire department.

Improper installation, adjustment, alteration, service or maintenance can cause injury, property damage or death. Refer to this manual. Installation and service must be performed by a qualified installer, service agency or the gas supplier.

Water Heater Temperatures

Water temperature over 125°F can cause severe burns instantly or death from scalds.

  • Children, disabled and elderly are at highest risk of being scalded.
  • See instruction manual before setting temperature at water heater.
  • Feel water before bathing or showering.
  • Temperature limiting valves are available.
Temperature °F Time (adult) Time* (child)
100° Cool Bath Average Bath
102° Average Bath Warm Bath
105° Hot Tub/Whirlpool *
120° 9.5 minutes 4.5 minutes
125° 2 minutes 1 minute
130° 30 seconds 10 seconds
135° 15 seconds 4 seconds
140° 5 seconds 1 seconds
150° 1.8 seconds .5 seconds
Source: Shriners Burns Institute
Matthew P. Maley, February 18, 1991
*Children under 5 years old.
Electrical Emergencies
  • Electrical work is not for amateurs it is unique in that it must be done exactly right. Anything neglected or hooked up incorrectly could be a fire or shock danger. Just because you can buy electrical materials off the shelf at a home center doesn't mean you can install them correctly. Hire a qualified electrician for any electrical work you have done.
  • Install only the bulbs rated for a light fixture. If you plan to make electrical repairs of any kind, first turn off the main breaker or the individual breaker or fuse that serves the circuit you're working on. Check the circuit with a voltage tester to be sure it's off.
  • When a fuse blows or a circuit breaker trips, you should always determine exactly what caused the overload or short circuit and correct the condition before inserting another fuse or reactivating a breaker. You may reduce electricity used on that circuit by unplugging a few appliances or moving them to another room. If this doesn't help, have a professional electrician inspect the system to determine why it's overloading.
  • To avoid electric shock during a lightning storm, unplug appliances before the storm hits, and avoid using a phone or fax.
Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors

These detectors could save your life. For maximum protections, place a smoke alarm on every floor and in an area outside each bedroom. Carbon monoxide (CO) detectors should be placed near gas appliances, including water heater and furnace areas. Test each detector once a month, and replace batteries annually. Whenever you vacuum or dust, don't forget the vents on the detectors where dirt can build up, causing a malfunction.

Avoid Electrical Shocks

Assume any outside downed lines are electrically charged, stay far away, call the power company & 9-1-1. If someone comes in contact with an indoor electric current, shut off the power at the source - your fuse box or circuit breaker panel. If you cannot disconnect the electrical current, don't make direct contact with the victim. Free the person using non-conductive material such as dry wood, plastic or fiberglass. Be sure you are standing on a dry surface and that your hands are dry. Once the victim is free, call 9-1-1. Make sure help is on the way, and begin cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) if needed & you know how.

Able Service, LLC.
Shelby County
(502) 633-4549
(502) 244-ABLE (2253)
Elk Creek
(502) 477-8100
Todds Point
(502) 722-ABLE (2253)
(502) 845-1100
Fax: (502) 633-9218
[ Home ]   [ About Us ]   [ Plumbing ]   [ Electrical ]